Post-doctoral Research Associate (Mathematical Biology)
The School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences at Arizona State University (ASU) seeks applicants for a postdoctoral research position in Applied Mathematics or Computational Biology (see department info at https://newcollege.asu.edu/mns). Given the multidisciplinary nature of the research, a highly self-directed, creative and self-motivated individual is sought. The position is a one-year full-time fiscal-year appointment with an anticipated start date of 7/1/18. Salary range is dependent on experience, with associated University benefits.
Investigate retinal degeneration via mathematical and computational approaches. This involves creating systems of equations that model aspects of the retina in normal vision and/or degeneration, analyzing such a system analytically and computationally, and interpreting the results in terms of the application. Expertise in MATLAB, Python, or other similar software package is essential to conduct the computational aspect of the research. Additional expertise should either be in physiology with an emphasis on the retina or in mathematical biology with an emphasis on population models and multi-scale methods to analyze such systems. Wetlab experiments will not be conducted but collaboration with wetlab experimentalists will be done. Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of this position involve research in applied math or computational biology, and writing grants. Specifically, this individual will:
- Conduct research as required to meet the goals of projects
- Contribute and analyze data for research publications, grants, and grant reports
- Draft manuscripts for publication reporting results of original research
- Draft grant applications for external funding to advance and augment existing projects
- Work as part of research team with graduate students and faculty.
- Supervise research personnel, including undergraduate researchers
- Ph.D. in a field appropriate to the area of assignment by the time of appointment.
- Appropriate computational skills to undertake this research.
- Experience with and knowledge of multiscale approaches in applied mathematics.
- Knowledge of Python and MATLAB.
- An established track record of research in applied mathematics, computational mathematics/ biology, or statistics and an ability and willingness to learn from and collaborate with researchers in the other two areas
- Experience working with datasets or data analytics.
- Evidence/experience pursing grant funded research.
Instructions to Apply
Email application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is May 3, 2018; if not filled, every week thereafter until the search is closed. Complete applications must include a cover letter that briefly explains the candidate’s interest and fit with the position, unofficial transcripts, CV/resume, personal statement addressing the candidate’s research, statement of teaching experience and philosophy, and at least three letters of recommendation, one of which should address teaching qualifications. Requested material should be in one document. Only electronic applications are accepted for this position. Please reference Job #12380 when applying.
ASU does not pay candidates for travel expenses associated with interviewing, unless otherwise indicated by the department at the time of call for interview.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. ASU’s full non-discrimination statement (ACD 401) and Title IX policy are located at https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX.