The UMB Graduate School, Writing Center, and PROMISE Program Dissertation Boot Camp are returning to UMB the Dissertation House on January 15-17, 2019. If you haven’t heard about this dynamic program or if you would like to learn more about how it works, visit this direct link to the following 2016 CBE Life Science Education article “The Dissertation House Model” by Carter-Veale, Tull, Rutledge, and Joseph.
Additional Required Application Materials
The lead publisher of this article and director of Dissertation House, Dr. Wendy Carter-Veale, will guide us through the program as our dissertation coach. As part of your application, she needs your responses to the following prompts. By January 5, 2019, submit your responses in an email to
· Dr. Erin Golembewski, Senior Associate Dean, Graduate School: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Dr. TaShara Bailey, PROMISE program: email@example.com
· Dr. Wendy Y. Carter-Veale, UM PhD Completion & PROMISE Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org,
· James Wright, Acting Associate Director of the Writing Center: email@example.com.
Submit a brief description (maximum 2 pages, font size 11-12 point 1 inch margins) that describes your project and what you wish to accomplish during the Dissertation Houseprogram.
Please use the following guidelines:
(1) Summary of the project, including research question(s), data or texts, and method
(2) Amount completed on the project to date
(3) Any obstacles that you are encountering that hinder completion of the dissertation.
(4) Include the following header information with the description:
- Telephone numbers (home, office, and fax)
- E-mail address
- Academic Program and Year in the program
Where/Location: UMB Green Room, 1st Floor, SMC Campus Center, Room 115
When: January 15, 16, and 17 from 9am-5pm
Food: Breakfast provided 8-8:45am each day
Lunch 12-1pm provided each day
Afternoon snack provided each day
Coffee piping hot and available all day!
Who/Participants: Focused instruction for PhD student currently writing dissertations
Parking: Visit the SMC Campus Center link here and scroll down to “Parking Options”
We will send a full schedule of the program to you after the January 5 deadline for additional application material. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. TaShara Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or James Wright at email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your additional materials and seeing you at the Dissertation House!